Friday, August 28, 2009

Here we go!

After last nights dinner, both our camps were set to go. Well, sort of. Not really knowing where to get breakfast, I sort of decided to skip it and test my newfound knowledge of the subway system. Having paid attention during our trip out to the gallery I figured it was time to make my way there by myself.

The subway system in Japan is pretty wild. A smooth, clean, efficiently run machine...thats owned by a dozen separate companies. How that got to be that way must make for an interesting story. I'm sure it made for a phlanx of politicians first getting greased and then apologizing endlessly on TV.

After my misstep yesterday I was able to find my local station and buy a ticket for Shinjuku station where I had to not only to change to another train, but also another separately owned line.



Shinkjuku Station is about the size of three Penn stations. So to get anywhere requires a lot of walking. And on a weekday, amongst a huge amount of people. The good thing is everything is labeled in both English and Japanese, so as long as you know your line name, you're set. If not, well, good luck to you buddy. Actually, the maps are informative but the combination of lines and languages crammed into them leave even the most seasoned traveler scratching their heads. After wandering around for about 20 minutes I did manage to locate my line and was on my way.

The gallery was already open by the time I arrived thanks to Jun. Since it was early there really wasn't much to do. Jun had suggested that I walk around the neighborhood and check out a few shops. I found a few record stores and spent some time flipping though 45s. Looking for odd stuff. A return trip back to the gallery found it still quiet. Time for lunch.

Not wanting to deal with looking for a bento box I spotted a KFC nearby. Just out of curiousity I figured it was worth checking it out. Besides the fact that it was immaculately clean and the servers were lighting fast, it was pretty much the Colonel as usual...with a twist. I got some interesting BBQ/teriyaki type sandwich. A little on the hot side but very delish. As I'm eating I hear a young woman scream next to me. I look over and it turns out this field mouse is scooting around the floor. An employee then just walked over and calmly using an upright dust pan swept the little fellow into it and disappeared in the back. The woman, while visibly creeeped out, just continued with her lunch. Even the diners waiting to be served, didn't seem phased by it! Vermin 1 KFC 0.

Upon returning to the gallery things were starting to pickup. Its a Friday night and people were out and about. Soon Rockin' Jelly Bean stopped by to give his well wishes along with his bandmates Jacky and Enoki. A few other performing bands stopped by and the resulting crowd did create a small amount of sales.

The A-Bones popped in shortly before their gig just down the block at Shelter. They were tired but in good spirits and looking forward to the show.

Shelter is probably like a lot of venues in Tokyo. Underground, and very discreetly located. In fact despite the fact that its a block away I walked past it about three times without seeing it. The size is small, in comparison to Maxwells in Hoboken. 150-200 people tops. Another interesting detail about shelter is the access to the backstage area. You literally have to leave the club, go around to the back and then snake your way past some long narrow corridors to get to the stage. Made for fast exits I suppose.


A few of us hung out at the gallery until closing. Unfortuately that meant missing the openers Supersnazz. But as soon as we closed we all headed down to the club and caught Rockin' Jelly Bean's amazing instrumental group. Jackie and the Cedrics. Just phenomenal. The followup band was Firestarter who put on an admirable performance. Next was the A-Bones.

It was around 9 or 9:30 PM and an oddly early time but for Japan standards, I guess thats normal. Who wants to miss the last train (midnight) and get stranded?

The crowd had already whipped itself up into a frenzy as I stuck myself in a far corner of the stage. Having been on stage before, its a great perspective to see groups of smiling happy faces in front of you. As any band will tell you it really makes your day and helps push the band perhaps farther than they themselves thought possible.

As soon as the A-Bones hit the stage you could tell it was going to be a good night. Great crowd, psyched band. The energy between the band and the fans was palpable. Billy, was all over the stage, Marcus was jumping around, Bruce threw himself all over the stage, Miriam had a constant smile on her face and even Lars was in motion.















After the gig, everyone was beat, but not enough to miss doing a meet and greet with the leftover fans, who were elated to chat with their heroes. After a quick stopover at A "Rock and Roll" cafe owned by a local fan, Enoki piled us all into his van for a trip back to the hotel. Quite a night...and its just the first tour day.






No comments:

Post a Comment